Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Marvel's Quesada Thinks Zod Is The Hero In "Man Of Steel"

Marvel's Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada just upped the ante on the rivalry between the company and DC Entertainment during his recent interview on director Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast.


During the chat Quesada talked about Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel" and said he wasn't a fan of the reboot, though his primary issue with the film may surprise you..

 He says (via The Mary Sue):

"As a comic book fan, I wanted to love that movie so much. I just think at the end of the day, Zod [Michael Shannon] was the hero of the movie to me. He wanted to save his race, and Superman [Henry Cavill] didn't let him. Zod, in this particular incarnation, struck me as not necessarily an evil man, he had his orders, he had a mission. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't say, 'I want to rebuild Krypton, and then come back and destroy this little planet. All I want is to rebuild this planet. And the only reason I'm blowing everything to bits here is because you've got what I want, and you're not giving it to me. So please, give me my people, and I'll leave.' When Superman said 'Krypton had its chance,' I was like, 'Will you just f*cking kill him, Zod?'...You could have had a better solution if you had written a better problem. So I see things like that, and I'm like, 'Aww, man.' It was one of some things in the movie, that I just ended up feeling disappointed in it."

If you read my review of  the film--you will note my own issues with the reboot--Allowing for the Marvel/DC rivalry--I have to admit  Quesada makes a valid point--It's one that did not occur to me...Until now...

No comments: