Sunday, April 13, 2014

James Bond Films: Brosnan Reflects While Neeson Prefers To Wed

Actor Pierce Brosnan thinks that his work as James Bond was "never good enough".


Looking back on his tenure as 007 over four films from 1995 to 2002, the actor tells the UK tabby The Telegraph:

"I have no desire to watch myself as James Bond. 'Cause it's just never good enough. It's a horrible feeling...I felt I was caught in a time warp between Roger and Sean It was a very hard one to grasp the meaning of, for me. The violence was never real, the brute force of the man was never palpable.It was quite tame, and the characterization didn't have a follow-through of reality, it was surface. But then that might have had to do with my own insecurities in playing him as well."

Still Brosnan is grateful for the opportunities that playing Bond has afforded him: "It's the gift that keeps on giving, that allowed me to create my own production company and make my own movies."

Despite his feelings, Brosnan's time in the franchise was a financial success. His first film as Bond, "Goldeneye," was critically acclaimed and pulled in $352 million worldwide - a vast improvement over its predecessor "Licence to Kill" from a a few years before that starred Timothy Dalton and  managed to cume just $156 million.

The subsequent Brosnan Bond films fared even better financially though critically seemed to sink with each entry, ending with 2002's critically challenged "Die Another Day" turned out to be Brosnan's highest grosser at $431 million worldwide

Several folks were up for the role before Brosnan got the nod like Liam Neeson who ironically enough became an action star in his own right-- Neeson talked to Hull Daily Mail last month about turning down the chance to play super spy


"I was heavily courted, let's put it that way, and I'm sure some other actors were too. It was about 18 or 19 years ago and my wife-to-be [Natasha Richardson] said, 'If you play James Bond we're not getting married!' And I had to take that on board, because I did want to marry her."

No comments: