Tuesday, October 16, 2012

31 Days Of Horror Day 16: THEM (2006)

The director Jason Christopher talks up the '06 chiller Them as this special month long event celebrating horror reaches the halfway point!



At first I was going to put The Strangers on my horror movie countdown to Halloween. I was searching through my DVD’s and I completely forgot about this kick ass movie, THEM. No not the 1954 movie. The 2006 France flick kills it.

Lucas and Clementine live peacefully in their isolated country house, but one night they wake up to strange noises... they're not alone... and a group of hooded assailants begin to terrorize them throughout the night.

A good buddy introduced me to this movie and after I saw it, I was completely blown away. In 2008 a very similar movie was released, The Strangers. I like The Strangers but Them is just so much more terrifying. The lighting work in this movie is amazing! It was filmed on a Panasonic DVX-100B. The music is so simple but scary, there’s not even a lot of blood. It’s very similar to the original Halloween. A simple score, all the frightening photography makes great use of shadows and lighting.

After really enjoying this movie I got into foreign horror movies. Foreign countries are releasing some really good horror movies over the US nowadays I feel like the US is slowly going down hill with its horror movies. It’s all about ghost stories in the States anymore, kind of getting old. Them has an ending that leaves you speechless. I love this movie!

So, if you can’t find Them on DVD, definitely pick up a copy on Amazon. Just looked, it’s only 3 bucks!


15 days till Halloween.

-Jay

1 comment:

Brittani Burnham said...

I agree, Them was a lot more terrifying than The Strangers.