Thursday, October 09, 2014

Ghostbusters Redux Gets Feig And Dippold

"Bridesmaids" and "The Heat" director Paul Feig has confirmed that he will indeed chart the Ghostbusters reboot at Sony Pictures .





Katie Dippold (The Heat, Parks and Recreation), and Feig, will overhaul the script for the new "Ghostbusters" which will focus on an all-female team according to Heat Vision.

It's also going to be a all out reboot of the series and will seemingly ignore the two earlier films and their continuity in favor of launching a whole new franchise.

The Lego Movie" helmers Phil Lord and Chris Miller were eyed for the gig but could not ink a deal. Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II director Ivan Reitman skipped out on calling action for the film in the Spring after the passing of co-star Harold Ramis...Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg penned the original script

Original cast member actor Bill Murray is cool with the idea and even had suggested who should star in the new film last month.

It's unclear at present if the project will be Feig's next film.

Feig tells EW.that he was contacted by Sony, about the film but was unsure about tackling what was then either a new sequel or a reboot idea.

It just felt too difficult. How do you do it and not screw it up? But then it was bugging me for the next few days because Ghostbusters is such a great thing and everybody knows it, and it’s such a great world. It’s a shame to just let this thing sit there. I want to see another one. My favorite thing to do is work with funny women. I was like, what if it was an all female cast? If they were all women? Suddenly, my mind kind of exploded: that would be really fun. And then I thought, well, what if we just make it new? It’s not coming into the world that existed before.”

Feig is unconcerned about any backlash: “I just don’t understand why it’s ever an issue anymore,” he says. “I’ve promoted both Bridesmaids and The Heat and myself and my cast are still hit constantly with the question, 'will this answer the question of whether women can be funny?' I really cannot believe we’re still having this conversation. Some people accused it of kind of being a gimmick and it’s like, it would be a gimmick if I wasn’t somebody whose brain doesn’t automatically go to like, I want to just do more stuff with women. I just find funny women so great. For me it’s just more of a no-brainer.”

The film is in it’s early days but coming together quickly: “We have a very rough, rough outline that we’re working with, but definitely know the basic story, know what we want the basic characters to do, know what we want the world to do and what the rules of our world are, but nothing I want to discuss obviously. It’s cool. I think it’s a really strong origin story that feels real—as real as a ghost story is. It’s going to be really fun and real. We’ll make it scary and funny.".

No comments: