Sunday, October 14, 2012

31 Days Of Horror Day 14: Black Christmas

Jason Christopher celebrates the original 1974 version of Black Christmas- as this special month long event celebrating horror gets holiday shopping done early!


Ah! My favorite of all favorite horror movies. I never watch this movie at random, only during the winter season but with all the cold air striking Jersey so early, I had no problem popping it in early this year.

Olivia Hussey plays Jess, the attractive girl with a head on her shoulders. She tells her boyfriend Peter is that she is pregnant but doesn’t want to keep the baby. His head spins and he fails miserably at his piano audition. Ultimately he becomes more angry.

The sorority that Jess belongs to is getting vulgar phone calls threatening them. It’s great! Throughout the film, each sorority sister gets hacked off and no one really knows who is doing it.

Back before he made A Christmas Story and Porky’s director Bob Clarke, made Black Christmas. The movie isn’t as well known as the poor excuse of a remake in 2006 and that is a crime! Those reels should be burned. Bob Clarke set the path for a ton of future horror movies, ones that we all love. Halloween, Friday The 13th, Scream, the list goes on...

Hussey is damn hot in this movie. I’m in love with her. If I could be born and go back in time to 1974, I would’ve tried my best to know her, Ha Ha! James Saxon, as always, kills it in his role. I love this guy too! We approached him for my film but his agent pretty much just laughed at us. When we screened the movie at HorrorHound weekend in Ohio in 2011, I got to meet the man. Sweetest dude ever.

The original Black Christmas will effect you if you have not seen it. I love this movie so much because there’s not an ounce of bad acting in it, the direction is great, and the suspense is amazing! It’s a really well put together horror movie. I saw this movie for the first time when I was 16 years old and it scared the crap out of me. The last 2 minutes of the movie had me in awe. This movie seriously stuck to me like gum on the bottom of my shoe and I’ll forever love Black Christmas.

17 days till Halloween.

-Jay

No comments: