Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Wolverine: Mangold On The Alternate Coda

On the stump for the December 3rd disc release of "The Wolverine" director James Mangold talked to Superhero Hype about that film's alternate ending which sees  Hugh Jackman's Logan finally get the classic gold and black costume from the comics. 

He was asked why the scene changed and the costume cut:

"I felt the fans' desire to see something like that. The trick was that I felt like, and I think the studio felt strongly, that I was handing a hot potato to whatever films followed in the sense that it's one we didn't know if they could fulfill since we hadn't even scripted them yet. I certainly didn't want to burden ["X-Men: Days of Future Past" director] Bryan [Singer] with suddenly based upon the last six seconds of the film throwing a wrench in the works of what he was up to. For Wolverine fans I felt it would be hugely rewarding, but when we screened it, and we did with that ending on, it was very interesting that 60% of the audience didn't understand what was in the box. So you also have the fact that you're going to be ending a movie with a moment where a huge majority of the audience was going to be going 'Huh?' So that definitely wasn't a feeling I wanted... [It was] creating more questions than [it was] answering and maybe it wasn't the most responsible thing to do."


Personally I HATE the yellow costume from the comics....The characters look like they are doing the The Bees sketch from Saturday Night Live back in the 70's. I am glad Mangold decided to cut it!

No comments: