Friday, November 11, 2011

Oscars '12: Billy Is Back


YAHOO!! Billy Crystal is going to host The 84th Academy Awards says THR

Crystal tweeted the news, stating, “Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up my prescriptions. Looking forward to the show.”

He will replace Eddie Murphy, who left the show hours after producer Brett Ratner left after saying some eyebrow raising things.

Crystal, according to the article, has hosted the Oscars nine times. He previously hosted in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2004.

Later in the day, the AMPAS sent out an official release, in which producer telecast-producer Brian Grazer said, "Like so many others, I've been eager to see Billy host again. It's very gratifying that he agreed to do it with Don and me at the helm."

Grazer joins Don Mischer, as a producer of the show.

AMPAS president Tom Sherak said in the official statement, "I'm thrilled to welcome Billy back to the Oscar stage. He's a comic legend and Oscar icon, and it feels good to have him back where he belongs."

I whole-heartedly agree! Although The Muppets would certainly have been an inspired choice--I maintain Billy is the best Oscar host since Johnny Carson

The 84th annual Academy Awards will air Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012

No comments: