Friday, September 07, 2012

Ebert's Life Itself Becomes Docu

Martin Scorsese, writer Steven Zaillian and "Hoop Dreams" director Steve James will team up on a  documentary based on film critic Roger Ebert's 2011 memior "Life Itself" says The Hollywood Reporter.


The story charts the reviewer's struggle and recovery from alcoholism; his battle with thyroid cancer--that left him unable to eat, drink

The film will also cover his marriage, politics, and his spiritual beliefs as well.

Ebert tells Criticwire that "They say they have a good idea for an approach… I never thought of my book as a doc. I'm keeping hands off any involvement, such as with the screenplay, because I don't want to be a third wheel. Whatever they do I will be fascinated."

Garrett Basch will produce the film.

Scorsese and Zaillian will executive produce.  Production hopes to begin as soon as possible.

No comments: