Saturday, June 06, 2009

God Complex

This past Tuesday The Geek Files posted excerpts from a Total Film print interview with director Bryan Singer about among other things doing more comic book flicks....

He was first asked about the possibility of returning to the " X-Men" franchise with the X-Men Origins: Magneto spin-off film...

"Possibly. The only thing that concerns me about Magneto is that if the prequel were to follow the track I used in X-Men, which is Magneto's history in the concentration camp, then I've lived in that world. "Apt Pupil,, X-Men and now Valkyrie ...I've lived in that Nazi universe for quite a while. I just might need to take a little break before I do something like that" said Singer.

There's been lots of talk that Superman: Man of Steel is in early development, though claims of of anyone involved with 2006's Superman Returns doing the sequel have been hard to come by.

Asked once again point blank whether he would direct a sequel, Singer replied "I don't know, I don't know. There are still issues...I just...I just don't know. I don't necessarily...I don't know. It's one of those things where...It's so weird talking about stuff unless I'm about to ramp up and shoot it."

Stuttering through another answer means nothing has been decided...I think the studio and Singer should just part ways on Supes already. I wanted Singer to do MOS initially but now it's time to move on....Really...

But who should sit in the big chair?

Fellow director Kevin Smith Says JJ Abrams Should Handle 'Superman' Reboot

Smith told MTV: "Based on Star Trek, I'd hand it to J.J. Abrams and say 'Go!'

"Clearly, the dude knows how to craft a really warm and wonderful piece of mainstream entertainment. And that's what Star Trek is - it works like crazy as a mainstream movie, and it has warmth."

He continued: "[Star Trek] isn't just assembled by committee and you don't see the heart. There's heart there and humanity.

"So give him Superman, because that's what people seemed to miss in the last one - they just felt like Superman wasn't Superman. He wasn't human enough."

He added: "There are two sides to the Superman equation. Kryptonian birth but raised on Earth."

As great as the notion may be for Abrams to save Supes the way he saved Trek...I want him to stay put in the 23rd century...Otherwise--you put Trek in the same spot the X-Men were in when Singer bailed on X-Men: The Last Stand--a decision he now seems to regret.

J.J can't save every troubled franchise.

No comments: