Saturday, April 25, 2009

Solving For X

Producer Lauren Shuler Donner talked extensively with Sci-Fi Wire this week about the fate of the "X-Men" franchise and a sequel to another comic book flick....

First up it sounds like, X-Men Origins: Magneto moving ahead is somewhat dependent on the success of X-Men Origins: Wolverine"...

"We will do that. We all want to. Magneto is a fantastic script, and hopefully we'll make it." She continues, "Honestly, we have all been just so focused on getting Wolverine out that we didn't take the time to sit down and explore

Still sounds like "X-Men: First Class" is the first priority despite that a first draft script is not yet complete.

"I like kids. I did produce Pretty in Pink and St. Elmo's Fire . I do like those kind of teenage movies; I really do. Part of it takes me to my roots. It's action. There seems, to me, to be more humor, or more potential for humor. I really like that idea. The relationship ... I don't want to get into what the script is about, but it provides a bit of a lighter touch to the franchise." ...

When the original Constantine flick opened to a worldwide box office of $230 million,in 2005 it seemed like the start of a franchise for the comic book adaptation. In 2006, LSD spoke positively about a sequel, saying she and a "team of writers" were "really going to go for it" on a sequel that would feature a "hard R-rating," Keanu Reeves, and a story "outside of America."

Then nothing...

She says now "Looks very good. Thinking about it. Looking for a writer."

I enjoyed Constantine--and would see a sequel for sure--but it still sounds a while off.

No comments: